Wonderful Whole Wheat Bread
- Ready In:
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110F)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 - 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and water; stir to dissolve yeast.
- Stir in the melted butter and salt.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix well.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the honey.
- Stir in as much unbleached flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough that's smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes).
- Place the dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover; let rise until double in size (1 1/4 hours).
- Punch down dough; let rise again until almost double (about 45 minutes).
- Divide dough; shape into two loaves and place in two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Cover; let rise until nearly double and center is rounded (45 minutes).
- Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes then COVER WITH FOIL if necessary to prevent browning.
- Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes more or until done.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- While warm, you may brush loaves with melted butter.
Join The Conversation
Easy and delicious! I made 2 round loaves vs using bread pans and they were done in about 42 minutes. I did take your advice and cover with foil at 30 minutes and the loaves were gorgeous! DH circled the kitchen like a vulture until I broke down and let him cut into a warm loaf. Highly recommended :)