Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Zucchini and Capers
- Ready In:
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 lb tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- ground black pepper
- In a large mesh colander, toss the zucchini with the salt.
- Let sit 15 minutes.
- Pick up handfuls and gently squeeze out the moisture.
- Pat dry and return to the colander.
- Cut the tomatoes in half at the equator.
- Squeeze the seeds and juice into a medium sieve over a medium bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes coarsely and add to the bowl with the juice.
- Press the pulp in the sieve to extract the juice and discard the solids.
- Add the capers, garlic, red pepper flakes and dried oregano to the bowl.
- Stir in the vinegar, then 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Marinate 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil on high heat.
- Cook the spaghetti until tender but firm, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet on medium-high.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato mixture.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan and remove from the heat.
- When the spaghetti is cooked, add it to the skillet.
- Sprinkle in the pepper.
- Toss to coat with the zucchini mixture.
- Adjust the salt and scatter oregano leaves over the top for a garnish.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>