Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese
photo by Chef La Reine
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bunches swiss chard, trimmed and chopped (about 14 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place the pine nuts on a heavy baking sheet or in a pie tin. Toast nuts in the oven, stirring occasionally to ensure they brown evenly for about 10 minutes or until they are brown. Set the nuts aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chard and saute until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, the wine, and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down and the chard is very tender, about 5 minutes. Season the chard mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- While performing step 2, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking together, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain. Add the spaghetti to the chard mixture and toss to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls; sprinkle with pine nuts, olives, and cheese on top and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummm I just finished making/eating this dish. I also thought I'd add sliced orange bell pepper since I had some in the fridge... and I didn't have canned diced tomatoes so I diced 3 medium sized tomatoes. Used red instead of white wine cuz thats what was on hand. And also added chili paste since i wasn't using canned tomatoes... added a nice spicy kick as well as using more chili flakes then called for... Deliciously spicy!
Just great! i used whole wheat penne, because that is what I had, and i guess i drunk all my wite wine (oops!), so substituted some rice vinegar (2 tbsp.). I couldn't bring myself to open a 28 oz. can of tomatoes (who uses 14 1/2 ounce cans anyway?), so I used fresh grape tomatoes and had to guess at how much. I used parmesan cheese and some grated mozzarella. Delicious! This would also be good with goat's cheese or feta. Thanks for posting.
A long overdue review for a five star Pasta dish. Wonderful taste and great presentation for this easy to make recipe. This is good with or without the olives, the pine nuts and red pepper flakes make for an added touch. The whole wheat spaghetti is a favorite here, and always gets a special thumbs up from the teenager. This Canadian thanks the Canadian _in _the_ bay for sharing a recipe that makes for such a special meal for pasta lovers.
see 2 more reviews