White Lamb Curry
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 kg lamb, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 kg plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium onions, ground in a food processor
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled and ground
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut, soaked and ground
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed, soaked and ground
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Wash the meat and squeeze out all the water. Add the yogurt, salt, ground onions, ground garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot. When oil is smoking slightly and the bay leaf, cloves, peppercorns and cardamoms. Add the chopped onions and fry until golden brown, add the meat/yogurt mixture and keep stirring. Bring the heat to medium, cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook until the lamb is almost tender. Add the coconut, poppy seeds and milk and bring to a boil. Cook until the gravy thickens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a classically trained chef and a grad of NECI in Vermont. I ran my own catering company for years and then decided to switch gears and go to law school. I now practice law and cook just for fun. I enjoy cooking for friends and DH and I entertain regularly. I also cook for my three golden retrievers and have found several wonderful biscuit recipes here at Zaar. I collect cookbooks and food literature. My all time favourite food writer is MFK Fisher. If you have not read it, I commend her short story "Borderland " to you. It is one of the most evocative pieces of food writing ever. My current favourite cookbook is "Urban Italian - Simple Recipes and True Stories from a Life in Food" by Andrew Carmelini. For years I managed to hang on to all of my back issues of Gourmet some of which date back to the 1980's. Sadly, I recently lost that particular battle and to promote marital harmony, I am recycling my old mags but am posting my favorite Gourmet recipes along with some interesting ones worthy of a test drive.