Wegmans Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
- Ready In:
4 oz servings
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Italian sauce, divided
- 2 eggplants, medium size (about 3/4 lbs ea)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated and divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 1.Spray bottom and sides of pan with cooking spray; spread bottom of pan with 1 1/2 cups of sauce. Top with overlapping layer of eggplant slices; drizzle with olive oil. Add even layer of bread crumbs; sprinkle with half the grated cheese. Season to taste with seasoned salt and cracked black pepper. Top with remaining sauce and remaining grated cheese.
- 2.Bake, covered, 40 min or until eggplant is tender. Remove from oven; top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, 2-3 min, until cheese melts. Let rest 15 min before serving.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil on top, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is FABULOUS!!! Tastes like you did all the added work that you don't have to do! Also, I like it best with a very simple to make tomato sauce: most jar sauces are a bit too heavy. This one works GREAT! -------------- Maria’s 20 minute tomato sauce Joy of Cooking, pg 305 In a sauce pan over medium heat: - 2 T olive oil - 1 chopped onion - 2 medium carrots, peeled and minced (I left it out) - 2 cloves garlic Cook stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in: - 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, crushing while adding - 1 T dried basil - 1-2 t dried oregano Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, then puree. Return to heat then add: - 1-2 t sugar - ½ t red pepper flakes - S & P Heat through about 5 minutes
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Love easy, delicious recipes suitable for entertaining & my family.