- Ready In:
- 4hrs 5mins
- 8 cups apple cider or 8 cups apple juice
- 1 pint cranberry juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon aromatic bitters
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 small orange, sliced
- 1 cup rum (optional)
- Put all ingedients in a crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hr, then on low for 4-8 hours.
- Serve warm.
- Note: I put the allspice and cloves in a teaball.
- I float the orange slices on top.
- I also omit the rum.
- I put a bottle of rum and other liquors next to the crockpot, and let the guests "spike" their own.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe before heading out, so it would be ready when I got home later with some guests. I cooked it on high in the crock pot for an hour, then turned it to low. Before I left (about an hour into the low temp), it tasted AMAZING! I left it on low while I was out for 4 more hours, since the recipe suggested 4-8 hours on low.<br/><br/>When I got back, the spices of the wassail had completely taken over. My guests said it was ok, but I thought it tasted terrible compared to the great balance of sweet and spice that it had before I left it on low for so long.<br/><br/>A friend of mine said that it's ok to simmer it for a long time as long as you take the spices out. I will definitely use this recipe in the future, and just make it 2 hours before I expect to serve it.<br/><br/><br/>Unfortunately, when I
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I hate to bake (almost as much as I hate to vacuum!), and I'll go to great lengths to avoid having to make cookies.