Vermont Baked Beans
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Cooking Light 2009
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 lb dried navy beans (about 2 cups)
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1⁄2 cup diced salt pork (about 4 ounces)
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and pork to pan; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add beans, 5 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup syrup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note