Vegetable Pasta Sauce
photo by Redsie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (I like to slice in rounds, then in half again)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried hot red chilies
- In large pot saute the onion in olive oil until translucent then add garlic.
- Run the chickpeas and tomatoes through a blender or food processor until they are finely chopped, but not smooth.
- Add all the ingredients to the pot, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When I don't have fresh I exchange 1/4 cup fresh basil= 4 tsp dried. 1/4 cup fresh oregano = 1 tablespoon dried. 1/2 cup parsley = 2tsp dried.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thank you for this flavorful and healthy pasta sauce.<br/>When using the fresh basil and oregano, remember to add them at the last minute for the most flavor. Unlike dried herbs, which keep adding flavor the longer they simmer, fresh herbs release their fresh flavor as soon as they are added to the hot sauce. The longer fresh herbs cook the more the flavor disappears.
I have to tell you this one really surprised me. It was GREAT and really different. I related to the reviewer who said he mostly ate the sauce (trying to be lower carb these days). I did use a full cup of red wine - the alcohol cooks off. I don't care for mushrooms so didn't add those, and used freeze-dried herbs. It was easy to prepare too. THANK YOU for posting!
This is a very good recipe, if you are looking for a thiner sauce for pasta and wanting something vegetarian. Although I enjoyed this recipe.... it left me with a good case of heart burn (the mushrooms did me in!!!)... and my husband and daughter were kinda in the middle of the road. My husband had said if there was a meat in the sauce and it coated the pasta a little bit heavier, he would have enjoyed it more. I made mine in the crockpot and had it cooking on low for 6 hours. I will add some chicken broth and make it into a soup and give it to my husband for lunches!!! Sorry Calee, but this will be a no for me
This is so good. I think I had more of the pasta sauce then i did the pasta. Very good. Since I have a very small food processor I had trouble getting all the chickpeas and plum tomatoes chopped the way they look in the pictures. as a result I had to break up the tomatoes while cooking, which wasn't a problem and some of the chickpeas were whole which I ended up liking that way. I love the recipe, i wouldn't change it, although i wouldn't mind adding another carrot for next time.
see 2 more reviews