Vegan Cowboy Tamale Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (grape tomatoes are nice)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained, not rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- cornbread batter
- In a large saucepan, steam the onion in the 1 cup of water until the onion is clear.
- Add the carrots, garlic and red bell pepper and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let simmer over low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- Spread a 13” x 9” baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray and pour the mixture into the dish.
- Cover with you favorite cornbread recipe and bake according to the cornbread directions until the cornbread is golden brown and completely baked through. Serve hot.
Join The Conversation
Great recipe, will make again. Added a tsp and a half chili powder and black beans in addition to kidney, great northern and vegetarian refried beans. Added a little corn to the corn bread and as I am not actually a vegan a dollop of light sour cream and some black olives on top. It was quite good and I plan to make again. I made this twice from one recipe putting half the chili in the freezer and bringing it out when an unexpected guest arrived. Worked out great using 1/2 corn bread recipe each time.
This is delicious! I wasn't sure how I'd feel about carrots in the chili part, but once it was baked I couldn't even taste them but appreciated their texture. I used a smaller casserole dish and used half the chili, freezing the other half to use another night. The cornbread on top was perfect, and the whole casserole makes a delicious leftover. This is a real keeper.
This was AWESOME! DH is omni and I'm Vegan. This worked out well for us. The only substitutions I made were as follows: about 3/4 of an onion, instead of 3 c fresh tomatoes I used 1 10 oz can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, instead of kidney beans I used hot chili beans. I split the recipe in half and made mine w/o meat in an 8 inch round pan and DH w/meat in his own 8 inch round pan. This will go into our dinner rotation. Thank you so much for posting.