Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Mousse Topping
- Ready In:
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package extra-firm silken tofu, drained
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F and put your cupcakes liners in your muffin pan.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a bowl, giving it a few minutes to curdle before proceeding.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla to the curdled soy milk and beat until a little frothy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 2 batches, mixing until no large lumps remain.
- Fill the muffin liners about 3/4 fill. I use an ice cream scoop so that they are sure to be uniform in size.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, and then remove from pan and put on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For the Mousse topping: Put the tofu, soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender; puree until completely smooth.
- Melt the chocolate, either in a double boiler or carefully in a microwave. If you use a microwave, be careful so as to not burn the chocolate. Let the melted chocolate cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate to the tofu in the blender and blend until combined.
- Put the mousse into a covered container and chill for at least an hour.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a large decorating tip on a pastry bag, and put a mountain of mousse on each cupcake.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Hi I have just attempted to make the mouse topping for vegan cupcakes first. I am from Scotland so my ingredients might not be quite the same. I have found the mouse to be very bitter and might have to add more sweetening. I got my ingredients from Whole foods store in Scotland. I started with morinaga firm silken tofu, unsweetened soya milk, pure vanilla extract, whole foods 100% maple syrup and tropical source semi sweet chocolate chips. Have I gone wrong somewhere. Will make cupcakes tomorrow. Thanks Val