Vanilla Custard Cups (Baked)
A recipe from TOH, this makes two servings of creamy, silken-textured custard with a delicate flavor. It is very simple to prepare, and the brown sugar gives just a hint of caramel. This recipe is formulated for 2 servings; cooking time would need to be increased for larger amounts.
- Ready In:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- In a bowl, beat (can use a hand mixer) first five ingredients until blended.
- Pour into two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.
- Place cups in a 9-in. square baking pan.
- Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.