Tuna Vegetable Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry curly wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion, up to 1/2 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 4 ounces fresh sliced white mushrooms, halved (can use more)
- 13 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (can use less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄8 cup water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) can chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use skim milk)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of celery soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Prep vegetables.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, then toss in kosher salt. Add egg noodles, stir and boil until al dente or just underdone; drain well in colander.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add onions, garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute about 6 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables, bouillon granules and up to 1/8 cup water. Stir well, bring to boil, cover & simmer 7-10 minutes or until tender. At end, drain liquid and season with salt and pepper. Re-cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Flake drained tuna in large bowl. Add a scant 1/2 cup milk, mayo & soup; mix thoroughly. Stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar and drained noodles. Mix all together well.
- Spoon tuna mixture into prepared casserole. Top with extra cheese and any additional toppings desired. Cook covered at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Join The Conversation
A lot of combined recipes and a lot of tasting led me to this vegged-up comfort meal. A few more steps round out this one-dish meal with a full complement of sauteed vegetables. You can change or expand the toppings to include panko or bread crumbs with a little butter, crushed potato chips, paprika, etc.