Tomato and Watermelon Salad
From Pintxos: Small Plates in the Basque Tradition by Chef Gerald Hirigoyen . This Frenchman makes fabulous food in San Francisco and this salad is an example of the simple treatment of fresh ingredients at which he excels.
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 heirloom tomatoes, small to medium, in assorted colors, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup watermelon, seedless flesh (red or yellow)
- 1 Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon herbs, fresh, chopped (mixed in any combination ( basil, tarragon, chives, and cilantro)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, avocado, and herbs.
- In a spice grinder, grind the coriander seeds to a fine powder. Add the ground coriander to the tomato mixture and toss gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the tomato mixture and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 8 more