- Ready In:
- rinse apples under cold water and stand on rack until completely dry, do not rub with a cloth.
- grease an oven tray.
- push a skewer three quarters of the way into each apple at the stem end.
- combine sugar, water, glucose syrup and colouring in a heavy-based saucepan.
- stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved.
- boil uncovered without stirring about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches a crack stage (remove sugar syrup from heat, allow bubbles to subside, drop a teaspoon of syrup into cold water, it should set hard and be hard to crack with fingers).
- remove syrup from heat, stand pan in baking dish of warm water about 1 minute or until bubbles subside.
- remove pan from water, tilt pan, dip and rotate an apple slowly in toffee until apple is completely coated.
- twirl apple round a few times before placing onto greased oven tray to set.
- pepeat with remaining apples and toffee.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I lived in new zealand for 8 years of my life, now england for the past 8 years. I go to boarding school on the east coast of england. I have friends from all over the world, my best friend is canadian and also lived in france, so her mum and her for that fact, are mean chefs, boy do i like going to her house. I recently found out I am intollerant to wheat so have found it difficult to give up such easy foods to find and now have to search harder. I also have 2 leaks in my heart, one on a valve going in and one on a valve going out. A top carteoligist from London told me as long as I don't get pregnant for a while (I should hope not, I'm only 15) or eat fatty foods, my heart would do allright. He said he didn't want to operate on me yet, beacause there is a operation coming in the next 10 years which is lazer, so he wants me to wait, but he said I was fit and healthy and had no need to worry, yet....... when i was younger i dreamed of being a choreographer or a marine biolagist, then i wanted to work for vouge magazine, then get married and move to barbados and raise a family where the only thing that passes anyones lips will be home grown or hand made, a bit ambitious i know, hehe. But now my dream is to be a laywer and help others that really need it, and hopefully move back to my roots and bring up a family there For lent i have given up refined sugars and it is so hard and i am only 3 days into it, i was starving at school, opened my tuk box only to find marshmallows and smarties and a box of cereal, i think cereal is about to become my best friend over the next 6 weeks. LOL EDITED 30TH AUGUST; Last night at 3:30am, my best friend lost her battle to cancer and it has made me realise how important it is to live life to the full and take every opportunity thrown at us. She was a special girl and only 15 - wherever she is now though, she is out of her suffering. I have no doubt that she went straight to heaven. Lord rest your soul. i also have a lot of favourite sayings, here are some of them "shoot for the moon, even if you don't make it, you'll land amoung the stars" "I'm on a seafood diet, see food and eat it" "smiling is infectious, you catch it like the flu, when someone smiled at me today, i started smiling too, i passed around the corner and someone saw me grin, when he smiled i realised, i'd passed it on to him. I thought about that smile, then i realised it's worth, a single smile just like mine could pass around the earth. So if you feel a smile begin, don't leave undetected. Lets start an epedemic quick, and get the world infected!!!"