Tinga De Pollo
- Ready In:
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 5 chipotle chilies en adobo sauce (can reduce amount to your preference)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 -2 medium white onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- 4 -6 cups shredded cooked chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- tostadas (tortillas or sopes)
- Mexican crema (or substitute)
- iceberg lettuce, shredded (or romaine)
- queso fresco, crumbled
- Heat a skillet up on high heat until a drop of water sizzles on contact.
- Add tomatoes and roasts, turning several times, until blackened on all sides. (This can also be accomplished in the oven.).
- Remove tomatoes and let sit until cool to touch. Cut into chunks and remove seeds if desired. Add to a blender with the chilies in adobo sauce, chicken stock, cumin and nutmeg. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add garlic and onions; saute 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add tomato-chile mixture and stir for 3 minutes to heat through.
- Reduce heat to medium; add shredded chicken and simmer uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated, approximately 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preparing the tostadas: Take a tostada and spread a little bit of crema mexicana on it. Top with the prepared tinga mixture, shredded lettuce and queso fresco.
- Other topping suggestions: homemade refried beans, fresh cilantro, avocado, etc.
- Servings are estimated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!