photo by nudnik
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 tablespoon onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of, squeezed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain and discard about half the juice from the can of tomatoes.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or a blender and pulse until well mixed.
- Blend more for a smooth salsa and less for a chunkier.
- Serve with your favorite chips. I like thin tortilla chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really good and does really taste like the stuff you get in Mexican restaurants. I made it for some tacos because I don't like paying a lot for the the sub-par taco sauce and salsa you get in the supermarkets here. I added a bit of sugar as one of the reviewers suggested. I would suggest letting it sit overnight because you get the full flavour then. Update: Oct 24 - I decided to try something a bit different with the recipe and left out the cayenne and instead put in a very finely chopped bird's eye in a double recipe of it for more of a kick. It made a wonderful hot salsa without overpowering the other flavours. You could do this with any other hot chili pepper, I just prefer the flavour of bird's eye chilis over very hot ones. I am looking forward to this in my Mexican dinner tonight. Thanks again for sharing this recipe.
see 6 more reviews
This was so good and so easy! I didn't bother dicing or chopping anything - just threw it all in the blender. When I tasted to see if it needed anything, I kept dipping my spoon back in for another taste - perfect as is. Instead of whole tomatoes I used a can of diced tomatoes with green onion and peppers. Mixed this salsa with some light sour cream to go on my tacos tonight. I can barely wait for dinner.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an engineer. I love food. People think cooking is hard, but it is sooo easy. Most people either don't have the confidence or don't take the time to try it! It's a shame, because in the same amount of time it takes to stand in line at a fast-food joint, you can whip up some excellent meals that are truly amazing.