The Chili Sauce Recipe
photo by Jan in Lanark
- Ready In:
- Peel and slice tomatoes into very large bowl; add onions and salt and stir gently.
- Cover bowl and let stand for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is best.
- Drain thoroughly and place in a large, heavy saucepan with a lid.
- Stir in celery, red peppers, pickling spice bundle, red pepper flakes and vinegar, then cover; over medium heat, bring this to a boil.
- Once boiling, uncover and simmer over low heat until thickened, at least two hours; stir often to prevent sticking.
- Add brown sugar and stir well; taste for sweetness (if your tomatoes are very tart or acidic, you may need a little more brown sugar).
- Simmer mixture until thickened again, about 25 minutes.
- Remove spice bundle in cheesecloth bag and discard.
- Ladle mixture into hot sterilized 2-cup jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal jars.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating, or storing in a cool dark place for up to one year.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This a delicious old fashioned Chili Sauce very similar to the one my MIL has passed down. Just made it this morning and boy does the kitchen smell good! The only variation I made was to use a combo of red, green and orange peppers. I think you should get your hands on your own copy of this cookbook Lennie! Thanks.