The "best" Refried Beans
I love this recipe, plus if you increase the amount of beans, you don't have to use them all for the recipe, the leftover beans are good to freeze and make refried beans in the future.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 5mins
- 1 (16 ounce) bag pinto beans, rinsed and cleaned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Place pinto beans and garlic in crockpot and cover with water.
- Cook beans until tender, usually 3 hours on high.
- In a large saucepan, melt the bacon grease on medium heat.
- Add DRAINED beans to saucepan, do not discard the bean broth though.
- Mash the beans with a mashed potato masher, you can make the beans as lumpy or as smooth as you wish.
- Once they are mashed to your liking, add the butter.
- Add enough bean broth to the mashed beans. You can add more if you like your beans close to the runny side, or less broth if you like your beans nice and thick.
- Lastly season with salt/pepper to your liking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation