Thai Pancake - Thai Roti
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 banana, small (or your favorite filling a s condensed milk, coconut, nutella, egg, or or or)
- Watch the videos metioned in the recipe description.
- In a bowl, combine water, egg, condensed milk, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, and form a crater in the sifted flour. Pour the water/egg mixture into the flour, and mix well. Add melted butter.
- Knead this until the bowl is clean and you have a nice ball of dough. Lightly coat the dough ball with vegetable oil (we like canola oil). Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Next, knead your dough a bit more, and form it into several balls (dough for 8 small pancakes of 3 to 3 inches). Coat them with vegetable oil.
- Roll a ball of dough flat with a rolling pin, then cut from center out to edge. Roll it up. Push it in with your finger. Repeat this a few times.
- Now roll and stretch the dough ball into a very flat square sheet (8 to 8 inches), for this step coat it with a bit more oil, pick it up and place it on a hot (highest setting) pancake griddle that has melted margarine on it. You can use a skillet also, but we found that our electric pancake griddle works great. Note. this step is not easy, you will need some exercice to perform this step perfectly.
- Add chopped banana or your favorite filling in the middle. Wrap horizontally one side first, then opposite side. Then vertically one end, then opposite to that end and make a purse covering the filling. Flip and fry for another 30 seconds. It took about 1 minute to finish cooking.
- Cut into 9 pieces and if you like top with sugar or with sweetened condensed milk.
- Enjoy this recipe! It's a lot of fun, and very tasty.
- Note: I had cherries at home. I used them for filling using some cornstarch to make the juice thicker.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow!!! After watching the video on making these, they sure make it look easier than it is, lol!!! I decided to add strawberries and a little sweetened condensed for the filling. My pan was very hot, as recipe states, but think next time I would use a medium heat. With the high heat, the pancake cooked and crisped up before I could get all four ends folded in, but no major problem, as it tasted wonderful and thats what counts. I think I need to practice, lol!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for PRMR Tag Game.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a wife, mother, beekeeper, food addicted and lover of nature as well as travels. Travelling I discovered the pleasures for the food, his colors, taste and spices. Now I?m really devoted to food photography and I love experimenting with new recipes to share them with my family and the world. My main inspirations: Italy: my roots Switzerland: homeland Greece: adopted homeland Travelling: spices and dreams Herbs and Bees: education in biology Colors and shapes: love eat with eyes as well