Tailgate 500 Meatballs
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
80-150 meatballs depending on size
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, divided
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I prefer Frank's)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 eggs
- To prepare sauce juice the oranges (about 1 cup).
- Prepare the 1/2 teaspoon orange zest to divide 1/4 teaspoon each between sauce and meatballs.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a microwavable bowl.
- Heat to boiling.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Taste. Add additional hot sauce or brown sugar if desired.
- Pour a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a 6 quart crockpot, just enough to cover the whole surface.
- For meatballs mix the grated ginger and 1/4 teaspoon of the orange zest into the liquids to disperse them so that no one gets an unpleasantly concentrated suprise.
- Mix all the ingredients together very well.
- Form small meatballs and pack them firmly.
- Brown the meatballs in skillet or oven.
- Pile meatballs into the crockpot.
- Cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Stir every hour to make sure that all meatballs absorb the sauce equally.
- Note:Prep time does not include time to brown meatballs because that will depend on the method chosen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I reduced to make a much smaller amount staying with half ground beef and half ground turkey. The meatballs went together easily and held together well. I browned them in a electric skillet and then covered with the sauce and reduced the heat to simmer slowly. They cooked much quicker than in a crockpot. I would have like more flavor in the sauce, maybe some heat from red pepper flakes? Thank you for your entry and good luck in the contest!