Swiss Cheese Spaetzle
photo by gemini08
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, grated
- parsley, chopped, optional to garnish
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat up a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon. Cook until the onion is slightly golden.
- For the pasta, mix together eggs, flour, milk and nutmeg. The dough will be quite runny.
- Put the pasta dough onto a wooden board, now scrape with a knife little dumplings about the size of a couple of peas and let each dumpling fall into the boiling water. You can also use what is called a Spätzle machine which is like a giant garlic press or push it through a colander.
- Once the dumplings float on the water, take them out as they are done.
- Add the Spätzle dumplings and the cheese to the frying pan and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle some parsley on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!