Sweetwater Ranch Spice Cake
Texas grown pecans and brown sugar meringue form the frosting as this cake bakes.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*. Grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, allspice, ginger and nutmeg.
- Beat butter in large bowl of electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Prepare Meringue Frosting: Beat 2 egg whites, using clean beaters and bowl, in medium bowl of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, 2 Tblsp. at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread frosting over cake batter. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool completely in pan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We really enjoyed this not overly sweet cake CJAY. The spice cake was perfect. The spices were just right, perfect ratio. I ground all my spices fresh for a subtle warm tasting cake. The cake rose beautifully, had a nice crumb and was the perfect base for the tasty meringue frosting. Loved the frosting it was crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. I've never made meringue with brown sugar before, it is soooo good. The pecans added a lovely taste and textural component to the cake. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely treat, which I will make again and again. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Mexico.Reply