Super Strawberries & Cream Bread
photo by CoffeeB
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups strawberries, fresh & coarsely chopped (do NOT use frozen) or 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (amount may vary depending on size of your baking pan. thickness of slices is up to you, I cut them a)
Topping (amounts may vary depending on size of baking pan)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In small bowl, beat butter until creamy; Gradually add sugar, beat 1 minute or until light and airy; Add brown sugar; Beat in eggs, one at a time; Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- Stir into flour mixture only until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in chopped strawberries and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured baking pan. Just about any pan could probably be used (a loaf pan, springform pan, etc.), just keep in mind that the bread will rise, so you want to make sure your pan is deep enough to avoid overflowing. I used roughly a 10.5 inch, round pan, about 2 inches deep.
- Place sliced strawberries, evenly, over the top of batter.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- With a fork or a mixer, cut in and mix butter until consistency of cookie dough (the best way I can think to describe it).
- Tear topping into little chunks and spread evenly over top of sliced strawberries. I had just enough to cover them completely, however, as stated above, the amount you need will vary depending on the size of your pan. If you use a bigger pan, you will need to make about a batch and a half of what is stated above for the topping. If you use a considerably smaller pan, like a loaf pan, you might want to cut the topping recipe in half. It's hard to mess it up, so do what you think will work. :).
- Bake at 350°F for 60 to 65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (cooking time may vary; it took about 90 minutes in my oven).
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- DIG IN!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
wow! This bread was super good! I used a muffin tin and it made about 12 good sized muffins. I also swapped out oil for the butter (since I was out of butter at the time) and it worked out pretty well. Nice and moist with the perfect amount of sweetness. I will definently be making these again soon!
This is a great recipe and oh so moist. I"m looking forward to trying it with the addition of blueberries. Another top favorite here. I left off the topping as I felt it was enough with just the bread, but I"m sure the streusel addition would be grand. I made mine in 3 mini-loaves. Thanks alot for this recipe. Made for My3Chef's 08'