Super Baked Beans
photo by Donna Luckadoo
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 1 lb dry navy beans or 1 lb dry great northern bean (2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1/4 lb salt pork, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup molasses or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse beans.
- In a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups cold water.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- (Or, skip bioling the water and soak beans overnight in a covered pan.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In the same pan combine beans and 8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or till tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- In a 2 1/2 quart casserole or bean pot combine the beans, bacon and onion.
- Stir in 1 cup of the reserved bean liquid, the molasses or maple syrup, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Bake, covered, in a 300 degree oven about 2 1/2 hours or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- If necessary, add additional reserved bean liquid.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We all enjoyed these beans and 'licked the platter clean'. When I tasted part way through cooking I felt the molasses overwhelmed the other flavours so I added in 1/2 cup ketchup to mellow it out a bit. I would certainly add the ketchup next time. We got rave reviews. I served Reciope #116185 with it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was one of the original members of Recipezaar that was truly a community of individuals that enjoyed each other in forums and chat rooms. I've been a member of this site since 2003. Made some tremendous friends that I still think of often. I'll continue coming here because my recipes are here and so many more that I tried over the years as a member. It's just a tad boring now and just another recipe site like all the rest. Sad.