Sublime 3 Cheese Macaroni
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 lb extra sharp goats milk cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 lb pasta shells or 1 lb penne
- 4 1⁄2 ounces panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, melt your butter over lowe heat and then whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in your milk and cook over low heat, constantly whisking until mixture becomes thinkened.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cheeses and remove from heat and cover.
- Cook pasta in required amount of boiling water for 10 mins until slightly undercooked and then drain.
- Stir into cheese sauce.
- Add pasta to a casserole dish and add cheese mixture to it and fold over and over until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle with panko and place dish into your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and panko is golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm always looking for new ways of making mac and cheese and this is a great way to make it a little "fancier". I really liked the combination of the cheeses and the addition of the red pepper to spice it up a bit. I had leftovers and let me just say, it's even better the second time around! Thanks for a Mac and Cheese recipe!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Since April 2008, I have been a vegetarian. I dont eat creatures...that's the easiest way to put it! :D I still eat a small amount of dairy, but not very much. I have been missing around here for a while, and hope to poke my head in a bit more often from now on... I hope you enjoy my recipes...