- Ready In:
- 4 large tomatoes
- 8 ounces bulk sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 cup bread, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 - 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or use fresh cut into small pieces)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat cooking pan large enough to hold tomatoes with cooking spray (or use cupcake baking cups to hold tomatoes in pan).
- Slice top off tomatoes large enough to remove inside (about top third or less. You want to be able to fill the tomato easily).
- Remove inside of tomato with spoon or melon baller. I find a grapefruit spoon with serrated edges works well for this.
- Arrange tomatoes in pan secured in baking cups if using; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown sausage, stirring to crumble (about 5 mins).
- Add butter, onion, celery and garlic and continue cooking until onion softens, stirring occasionally (3-5 mins).
- Add rosemary, oregano and bread. Cook and stir 2 more minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill tomatoes with sausage mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until tops are browning and tomatoes are softened.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese and cook another 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.