Stuffed Jalapeno Pita Bites
These delicious appetizers were a hit at our Easter Sunday potluck Brunch. I was pleased to find the recipe was in one of our local cook books 'A Taste Of Heaven' and surprisingly a recipe I had been thinking of trying. Delicious, easy and a crowd pleaser! I find putting them on a cookie sheet and heating through in a 350 oven make for a marvelous hot appetizer. Also excellent at room temperature.
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 count) package mini pita pockets (Cut in half)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 8 slices bacon (cooked cooled and crumbled)
- 1 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or 1/3 cup use a small 4 1/2 ounce jar of garlic and jalapeno puree
- Cook bacon, cool and crumble.
- Cut mini pitas in half with scissors.
- In bowl microwave margarine and onions until soft - about 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and blend with mixer until creamy, fold in crumbled bacon, tomato and peppers and stuff into pitas.
- NOTE instead of the jalapeno peppers you may use a small jar (just under 4 1/2 ounces)of garlic and jalapeno puree, which is my favorite way of preparing these. This also makes a terrific dip.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The spice/hot food lovers at my party liked these. I like some heat, but it was too much for me. The jalapeños came from my garden and had a strong kick. Also, could not find the mini pitas in time for the party, so i had to use tortillas as a wrapper. I rolled them up and cut slices after it had chilled. All in all, i liked the recipe but will alter the heat next time.Reply
I made this for a church gathering this evening. Everyone really enjoyed them, and I came home with an empty platter. Then a friend who is in charge of the ladies Bible study asked if I would make a batch up for tomorrow. So, as you can see, I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for posting this very simple yet tasty recipe. Made and reviewed for the June 2010 AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.2Reply
Yummy! I did make one change and that was using leftover ham instead of the bacon. I am not a tomato fan but I found that the tomatoes really tasted great. I also threw it in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350. It made the pita nice and crispy. Next time I would add another minute. Thanks for posting :) Made for PAC 20101Reply