Strawberry-Rhubarb Angel Food Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 angel food cake (make, use a mix or buy one already made)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 orange
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced strawberries
- red food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- mint leaf (garnish)
- Combine rhubarb and the juice of one orange (juice should equal at least 1/4 cup liquid- if additional liquid is needed, add water to make 1/4 cup).
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, cover and cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender.
- Set aside 1/2 cup sliced strawberries.
- Stir remaining strawberries into rhubarb mixture.
- Stir in a few drops red food color for eye appeal.
- Mixture will begin to thicken slightly.
- Slice cake horizontally to make 3 layers.
- Spoon 1/2 the filling on bottom cake layer.
- Add second layer cake and spoon on remaining filling.
- Place top layer on cake.
- Chill cream well, whip until stiff.
- Set aside.
- Beat together ricotta cheese, 4 tablespoons sugar, and the grated peel of one orange.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Fold whipped cream into whipped ricotta cheese.
- Frost the sides and top of cake with whip cream mixture.
- Garnish with remaining strawberry slices and mint leaves.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cake is best if served same day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this because I was looking for something that would 'herald spring'. This sure does! We loved it. It was decadent and still light in weight and flavour and not so sweet. I used a ready made angel cake which was a little on the small side and so I had a lot of whipped cream and ricotta mix left over. I was very generous with slathering each cake layer with the rhubarb strawberry mix. The cake made a delightful presentation, but cutting into and serving it was an event, with everything kind of running all over the place. There were 4 of us and I served the cake in 4 pieces. Omitted food colouring and mint leaves. I'd make this again, it's not hard to prepare and very rewarding to eat!