Spinach Pasta Using a Pasta Machine
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (use the measuring cup that is provided with the pasta machine)
- 1⁄4 cup prepared spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup semolina flour
- TO PREPARE SPINACH.
- Using a microwave-proof dish, add spinach and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cook on HIGH (full power) for 2 minutes.
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- In a food processor or blender, add cooked spinach and 1/4 cup of reserved liquid and puree' until smooth.
- TO MAKE PASTA.
- Using a pasta machine, add flour, 1/4 cup prepared spinach and salt.
- Lock cover in place, press swith to start and mix for 1 minute.
- Add olive oil into a standard measuring cup, add egg and whisk until egg and olive oil are incorporated.
- If necessary, add reserved spinach liquid or warm water to the 1/2 line and mix again.
- Pour mixture into pasta machine and mix until smooth.
- Adjust texture of pasta mix so that it is not too wet or not too dry.
- Install your choice of extruder (linguini, fettucine or pasta).
- Reverse switch and start extruding.
- Pasta should extrude smoothly.
- Cut pasta to desired lengths.
- Sprinkle with semolina flour so that pasta does not stick together.
- Cook in boiling salted water for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of sauces.
- You can also prepare carrots or red beets, cook and then puree' in a food processor or blender and use the same amount of puree' as the spinach recipe.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Burnaby, British Columbia. I am retired and have written a cookbook entitled, From Uncle Bill's Kitchen. I am a recipe developer, author, publisher, distributor and a chef. My cookbook is very unique as I have a Nutrient Analysis for each ingredient used in each recipe that shows you the values for Calories, Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. A high-lighted bar shows the values on a per serving basis plus the Fat/Cal%. From Uncle Bill's Kitchen contains tried-and-true, tested, easy to follow reipes for both novice and experienced cooks. You'll find old Russian, Ukrainian, and other ethnic favorites, along with modern West Coast dishes. The Nutrient Analysis will please the health conscious. Uncle Bill's favorite recipes will reward efforts of the most creative cook and provide the family with many tantalizing, healthful meals. I have appeared on 48 various Television Shows in Vancouver, Burnaby, Kelowna and Kamploops, B.C. Canada, as well as in Palm Springs, CA. In Palm Springs, CA, I have been a Guest on the JACKIE OLDEN RADIO SHOW and THE JOEY ENGLISH RADIO SHOW, twice a year since 1998. I also do demo cooking shows at CHAPTERS BOOK STORES, SAVE-ON-FOOD STORES, GALLOWAY'S FOODS, WESTMINSTER PUBLIC QUAY MARKET, and in the U.S. at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES in Palm Springs, CA, Phoenix and Yuma, AZ. I was in Palm Springs, CA from June 10th to July 14th. 2002 and again appeared twice on the Jackie Olden Show, twice on the Joey English Show and pre-taped a TV COOKING SHOW with Jackie Olden that is aired on TV from Palm Springs, CA to Los Angeles, CA.