Spicy Zucchini Omelet
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons purple onions, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh zucchini, shredded (squeeze tightly to remove moisture)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- sour cream (optional for serving)
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat on medium heat.
- Saute the onion and zucchini for a few minutes to soften, but not brown them.
- Meanwhile, add the water, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to the eggs and lightly beat to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet, over the onion and zucchini mixture, give it all a quick stir and then allow it to cook gently, untouched, for about 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently lift egg around the edges, pushing slightly in toward the center, to allow the uncooked egg to flow underneath.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 3-4 minutes, or until the top is mostly set.
- Pour the salsa in a straight line from one end of the omelet to the other, just off center.
- Gently pick up the opposite side of the omelet with your spatula and quickly fold it over onto the salsa.
- Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I wasn't sure about the herbs in the omelette, but after tasting was pleasantly surprised. This omelette really had great flavours and the tomato salsa and sour cream really gave it a great finish. I thought that the omelette needed longer cooking time as the top wasn't fully set prior to flipping over, so left in the pan longer to cook. Serves 3 nicely. Good luck in the competition. Photo also being posted.
My usual omelette consists of spinach and mushrooms in egg whites so this omelet was a delicious change. The veggies were perfect but not too much. The method to making these is just like what I do (except for the water), so it must be good! LOL! The level of spice depends on the heat of your salsa and the freshness of the chill powder. I really enjoyed this with a bit of cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and of salsa on top. This is a terrific recipe so good luck in the contest. Thanks! :)
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I am happily married with two children, 26 and 12. For nearly 10 years when this site was Recipezaar and then Food.com I hosted several different forums. I enjoyed making, creating, reviewing, and photographing recipes, but what I miss the most are the friendships I made here. I was Food Editor for the Mill Creek View Newspaper in Mill Creek, WA. for about 4 years during that time. Currently I am the office manager at a small mental health clinic. I'm not on this site much anymore, but I do continue to appreciate and respond to all reviews posted to my recipes.