Spicy Tomato Salad
photo by Debi9400
- Ready In:
- 9 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 long red chilies, halved lengthways, seeded, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 12 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated gingerroot
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 80 ml olive oil
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1⁄3 cup firm packed light brown sugar
- Place tomatoes, chillies and onions in a serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine pepper, seeds, ginger, garlic and spices.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat until it's almost smoking.
- Add spice mixture, stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes, then pour over tomato mixture and stir.
- Heat balsamic and red wine vinegars, salt and sugar in a pan over high heat until boiling, then immediately pour over tomato mixture.
- Mix well and cool to room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a very tasty salad. A little strong for our tastes but full of wonderful flavour. I think next time I'll cut the dressing ingrediants in half to keep the flavour but not be overwhelmed with it. I used regular mustard seeds because I couldn't find black ones up here. Also used roma tomatoes for their firmness and did not include the sugar. We'll definitely have this again.
This salad had wonderful aroma and strong flavour. I think I made a mistake somewhere with the spice mixture as it was more like a paste then a runny liquid. So did step five then poured vinegars into the spice mixture, mixed them together then add it over the tomatoes. Overall the flavour really is strong and I love tomatoes so it was a new way eating them. Thank you for your post Jewelies.