Spicy Thai Noodle Salad
photo by magpie diner
- Ready In:
- 1 lb soba noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil (the oil is strong, don't add more)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 5 red bell peppers, sliced thin and long
- 4 cups peas (frozen works fine)
- 16 green onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey roasted peanuts (leave whole)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cilantro, chopped coarse
- 2 limes, cut in wedges for garnish
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Check cooking directions, soba noodles can cook literally in minutes. Drain pasta well. Let pasta dry a bit or water on the pasta will dilute the dressing.
- Whisk sesame oil, canola oil, honey, soy sauce, vinegars, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl to blend.
- Season with salt.
- Heat a few tablespoons of dressing in saute pan over medium high heat (be careful, dressing can burn easily).
- Add peppers to pan for about 2 - 3 minutes to ligtly soften, they should still be crunchy.
- Add all other ingredients to pasta along with remaining dressing. Mix salad well, you will probably need to use your hands.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
- Serve right away or chill as long as overnight.
- Add peas shortly before serving. If you add them too early they will turn a "lovely" shade of grey.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fantastic! It's a little on the oilier side than I usually make, but on the plus side it's not at all dry! I really liked the dressing, and although I'm vegan I do eat honey so I used some - I could see subbing agave nectar instead or maybe brown rice syrup. I left out all the cayenne just to please my diners who don't like spice, but if it were just for me I'd have put some in. I had no peanuts so I used some raw cashews instead and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I will gladly serve this at my next get together or potluck maybe with some cubed smoked tofu thrown in. Thanks!
see 9 more reviews