Spicy Pork Stir-Fry With Coconut Scallion Rice
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 12 ounces lean pork loin, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons black bean chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon black bean chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons palm kernel oil
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut in 1/2 and sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch sections
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green jalapenos, thinly sliced (or to taste)
Coconut Scallion Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk, can use low-fat
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 scallions, sliced thinly on a bias
- Stir together the cornstarch and soy sauce and pour over the pork strips. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Stir together the black bean chili sauce, chicken stock and sugar. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the wok over medium-high to high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Swirl quickly to coat the sides of the pan with the oil. Add the eggplant and cook until tender, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and swirl again to coat all sides. Cook the onions, stirring, until slightly tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the red and green jalapenos and cook for 30 seconds.
- Return the eggplant to the wok and add the pork. Cook, stirring, until pork is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black bean mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until everything is well coated with the sauce and heated through.
- To make rice, in a medium saucepan combine the jasmine rice with the coconut milk, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add the scallions and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">