Spicy German Sausage
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork butt or 2 1/2 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper or 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- enough pork fat, if necessary to make a 3 to 1 meat to fat ratio
- Cut the meat (and fat, if necessary) into chunks.
- Spread out on a pie pan or cookie sheet and place in the freezer to chill (not long enough to freeze, just long enough to become firm).
- Grind the meat and fat together twice, using a coarse blade.
- Add the spices to the meat and fat mixture and knead it in thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least a couple of hours or overnight.
- The sausage can be stuffed into prepared casings or formed into patties or appropriate bulk portions and refrigerated for up to 3 days before use after which any remaining should be frozen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!