Homemade Bratwurst (German Pork & Veal Sausages)
- Ready In:
- You will need to have a meat grinder and butcher's twine to prepare this recipe.
- Make sure all visible fat and gristle has been trimmed from the meats.
- Cut meat into very small pieces, then place in a bowl with salt, nutmeg, and mace and mix to combine.
- Put the meat mixture through a very clean meat grinder three times.
- Mix the ground meat mixture with 1/2 cup water.
- Stuff casings, being careful not to tear, tying ends with butcher twine.
- The number and size of sausages you can make will depend on how small or large the casings you purchased are.
- To cook the bratwurst, set sausages into a pot and fill with enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
- Let stand 3-5 minutes, or until firm.
- Drain water.
- Pour some milk into a bowl and dip each bratwurst into the milk.
- Set dipped bratwurst onto a greased broiler pan and broil or grill until golden brown under low-medium (300-350°F if broiling) heat for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Makes enough filling for 4-6 servings.
- They should be stuffed and cooked the same day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made Patties instead of sausages - wonderful - I did add two cloves of garlic, crushed. I have a Kenwood mixer with the meat grinder attachment so it was very easy to make the recipe, I used veal shoulder (on sale)cutting off all fat & gristle and a piece of pork loin, no fat here. I made them the day before and fried them for Sunday Brunch.There was enough for three servings & I popped 6 patties in the freezer (froze them separately and then vacuum sealed them) Thanks Heather Feather this is so easy and so good my friends loved them