Spicy Eggless Gingerbread
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup molasses (unsulfured)
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (or Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting the top
- Combine the molasses, boiling water, butter, and oil in a mixing bowl. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and spices in another bowl then add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk until completely melded.
- Grease an 8 x 8 (9 x 13 if doubling) baking pan with a little oil or cooking spray and lightly dust with some flour for easy extraction. Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 25-35 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away form the sides of the pan and/or a cake tester in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if you like, it makes for nice presentation. The recipe card also suggests topping with sliced peaches, vanilla frozen yogurt, or applesauce with raisins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!