Spicy Carrot and Zucchini Bhaji
- Ready In:
20 bhaji (fritters)
- 1 cup besan flour (chickpea flour 150grams)
- 2 teaspoons cooking salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 small brown onions (160 grams sliced thinly)
- 1 carrot (medium 120 grams grated coarsely)
- 1 (120 g) zucchini (grated coarsely)
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves (loosely packed fresh)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup mango chutney
- Whisk besan (chickpea flour), salt and the water in medium bowl until mixture forms a smooth thick batter.
- Stir in spices, garlic, onion, carrot, zucchini and coriander.
- Heat oil in wok, deep fry tablespoons of mixture, in batches, until vegetables are tender and bhaji are browned lightly.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with mango chutney.
Join The Conversation
These were very good. I loved the mix of veggies with the besan (chickpea) flour. They were not overly spicy either, although I did cut half of the chili powder and used curry powder in its place. I shallow-fried these in oil and drained them on a paper bag. Note: this batter can be made a day a head and kept in the fridge. Served these with Recipe#326538, sauteed baby kale, yogurt, and peach chutney. It was a delicious meal! Thanks, Pat! [Made for I Recommend Tag]