- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 cups spaetzle dumplings
- 9 sliced mushrooms
- 1 head garlic, peeled and cut up
- 1 white onion, chopped to your liking
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups of grated swiss cheese (reserve at least a cup of cheese for top)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (6 ounce) can French's French fried onions
- chili powder
- hot sauce (optional)
- parmesan cheese, finely grated
- olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 375 Fernheit. Have a two quart casserole dish unsprayed with lid ready.
- Cook Spaetzle according to package directions (I found that boiling them for about 22 minutes is perfect).
- While that is cooking sautee pancetta in pan until just cooked. Then add onions and garlic with a table spoon of olive oil until onions are just starting to turn clear. Then add mushrooms and finish cooking to your liking. Feel free to season the veggies to your liking with salt and pepper as you add them.
- Next combine in a large skillet or sauce pan the butter and flour to form a roux.
- Then add heavy cream and let cook until nicely mixed together and starting to thicken. (About two minutes or so) then add regular milk as you would like to make sauce more creamy. Then start to slowly add one handful at a time combine swiss cheese into cream mixture. (You can add more cheese as you would like for flavor if amount above is not enough). Then add chili pepper and hot sauce to your tastes of you would like a more spicy flavor.
- Once sauce is looking well blended and smooth add spaetzle and veggies and mix everything in really well. Then transfer mixture to casserole dish and top off with more swiss cheese or parmesaen and then sprinkle French fried Onions on top to your liking.
- Then bake for 20 minutes at setting above. I recommend having a nice beer (maybe a Hefenwizen) with this dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I met my fiance because he asked me to come over so that he could make me dinner. I learned to cook from my mother who is an amazing cook. I love food and the people that I meet when I want to talk about food. I also in my free time do photography and go for motorcycle rides with my sweetheart. I also love to entertain my two cats.</p>