Southern Red Beans
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1 lb dried red beans, rinsed and picked over
- 6 ounces salt pork
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 smoked ham hock
- In a large bowl or pot add the beans and cover with water by 2 inches.
- Soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the salt pork until cooked through.
- Remove the salt pork leaving the grease in the skillet.
- Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the grease in the skillet.
- Season with the black and cayenne pepper, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, sausage, and ham hocks, and cook, stirring, to brown the sausage and ham hocks, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, salt pork, stock and water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken, about 2 hours. (Should the beans become too thick and dry, add more water, about 1/4 cup at a time.).
- Remove from the heat and with the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot.
- Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!