Southern Fried Chicken
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cut up frying chicken
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups oil
- In a 12 inch skillet (or cast iron skillet) heat oil to 325.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, pepper, salt, garlic and paprika.
- Coat dampened chicken in flour mixture, and shake any excess off.
- Place chicken in hot oil brown evenly on all sides.
- When lightly browned (15 to 20 minutes) reduce heat; cover cook slowly 30 to 40 minutes.
- Uncover the last 5 to 10 minutes increase heat to crisp skin.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe for mine and my SO's New Year's Day Dinner. Except for cutting the ingredients in half and using thinly pounded boneless skinless chicken breasts the recipe was made as it was written. I served this with mixed veggies and Recipe #243562.Also, I made gravy from some of the remaining flour and "drippings " and it went wonderfully with potatoes & chicken. We thought that it could have used a bit more seasonings,but other than that the chicken tasted well enough to be made again. Thank for taking the time to post and, " Keep Smiling :) "