Sourdough Stuffing With Sausage, Apples and Golden Raisins
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 13 cups sourdough bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 13 cups)
- 2 lbs pork sausage (breakfast type, bulk)
- 2 onions, chopped (about 4 generous cups)
- 2 cups celery, chopped (about 5 stalks)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cut in cubes (about 28 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sage, fresh, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Spread bread cubes in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer bread to very large bowl.
- Sautésausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up into small pieces with back of fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl with bread cubes. Add onions and celery to drippings in skillet; sautéuntil golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread-sausage mixture (do not clean skillet).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to bowl with bread mixture; mix in raisins.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons sage; stir 30 seconds. Add sage butter to bowl with bread-sausage mixture; toss to blend. Season stuffing with salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Generously butter 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk broth and eggs in medium bowl; add to stuffing and toss to mix. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing uncovered until top is golden and crisp in spots, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!