Sopa De Maiz (Mexican Corn Soup)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 8 cups fresh corn kernels (if frozen, use 2 packages 10 ounces each thawed and rinsed) or 8 cups frozen corn kernels (if frozen, use 2 packages 10 ounces each thawed and rinsed)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 cups chicken stock or 2 1/2-3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas, crisped and broken up
- sour cream
- sliced green onion
- chopped olive
- grated monterey jack cheese
- Combine the corn, onion, garlic, and 1 cup of the stock; process in batches in a food processor until smooth.
- In a big soup pot over med heat; melt the butter.
- Add in corn mixture, cumin, salt, and white pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add in buttermilk and 1 1/2 cups more stock; bring to a boil.
- Add in chiles, Tabasco, chicken, tomato, and cilantro.
- Lower heat to med-low; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add in remaining 1/2 cup stock if soup is too thick.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with a few broken tortilla pieces; pass around the additional toppings.
- Note: to crisp corn tortillas: preheat oven to 400°; brush or lightly spray both sides of tortillas with vegetable oil; stack 4 tortillas together; with a sharp knife, cut into 1/2-inch strips; place strips in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 minutes; sprinkle with salt or other seasonings; tortillas can also be fried in oil or grilled on a grill or griddle until crisp.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!