Smothered Pork Chops
Pork chops smothered in a bacon/onion gravy. Trust me, this is awesome...not a bit bland. It is one of my families favorite dishes!
- Ready In:
- 6 slices thick bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 pork loin chops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup hot milk
- Fry bacon in a large fry pan on medium heat.
- When done, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion in the same skillet with the bacon fat.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Fry on medium heat in the same skillet with bacon fat until light brown; remove to warm plate.
- Put remaining flour into skillet (add oil if necessary).
- Brown flour lightly.
- Add hot water immediately, then milk.
- Stir vigorously.
- Season as desired with more salt and pepper and add more water if needed to achieve gravy consistency.
- Put pork chops, bacon and onion into gravy and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is delicious!!! But I didn't follow your amounts, I think you probably cook like me, and guess at the amounts to make your recipe. I used about 1/4 cup flour to add to the bacon grease, and I may be wrong with the amounts for what you do, but one cup of flour, I would not be able to brown it or make a good flavorful gravy. I would actually add about 2-3 tablespoons of the flour mixture and brown, then add less of the milk and water to make a very flavorful gravy. With the ingredients of bacon, onion and pork chops, how could it not be flavorful!!!! Thanks for posting a great recipe that I loved and so did my son and his friend with the changes I made!!!Reply