Smoky Chipotle Hummus
- Ready In:
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole chipotle pepper, from canned chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- warm pita bread (store bought or home made) or pita chips (store bought or home made)
- In a food processor, blend garbanzo beans and next 7 ingredients in processor until smooth.
- Add red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pulse process, using on/off turns, until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer hummus to medium bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature before serving. Accompany with warm pita or pita chips. Can be made 2 days ahead.allows flavors to develop!
Join The Conversation
Fantastic hummus!! We had tried a chipotle hummus from Trader Joe's recently and I wanted something as good as that one. I'm happy to say I found it on the first try! I looked high and low for tahini, and after not finding it anywhere, I turned to trusty ol' zaar and found a homemade recipe..."Homemade Tahini #73859". I made that in my processor first, took out all but 1/4 cup then finished making the hummus. I was a little skeptical with all the ingredients in this...red peppers, chipotle, and sun dried tomatoes together in one dish?? But it came out delicious and flavorful, with just the right amount of smokey goodness. Served with warm pita bread, mmmmmmmmm...
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have been cooking since I was 10 years old...learned from my mother, a great cook in her own right. One of my first toys was the Easy Bake Miniwave Oven. I've had 4 years of professional cooking classes from the University of Wisconsin - Stout. My degree is in Hospitality and Tourism Management. I am a Corporate Meeting and Event Planner for a company in the Twin Cities Metro Area. I love my job!!!