Skillet Taco Macaroni
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 16 ounces can tomato sauce
- 16 ounces can water, use the empty tomato sauce can
- 16 ounces can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 - 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, can use cheddar-jack
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble the ground sirloin with the chopped onion until no longer pink; drain excess fat, if desired (there shouldn't be that much if you've used the extra lean ground sirloin).
- Return cooked beef/onions to skillet. Add the tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, dry macaroni and seasonings. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover tightly and simmer for 12-15 minutes (stirring once or twice) or until macaroni is tender.
- Add milk and cheese and stir well, until cheese is smooth and melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 24 more reviews
My boys LOVED this. My youngest ate THREE helpings! He told me this was the best meal I have made in a long time :) I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the cayenne pepper as I don't like things too spicy. For me, I thought it was still a bit spicy, the rest of my family told me I was a whimp (which I am when it comes to hot and spicy LOL). I also used Dreamfield pasta and dried onion flakes instead of the small onion. I also stayed on the safe side and used 1/2 tsp of cumin- I figured if it needed it - I could add later. This was very easy to put together after work. I will be making this again!
This is really good, and my young children like it too, which is always a plus. The only thing I did different was to use my own taco seasoning mix instead of the spices. However, I had to switch everything to a dutch oven when i added the macaroni. There is NO way all this will fit in a skillet(unless you have a REALLY big one). It makes a TON of food, enough for 3 meals for DH and two preschoolers. Anyway, yummy and inexpesive......a defininate keeper! Added note: I made this again, but with diced cooked chicken instead of ground beef. Also delish that way!
I probably shouldn't have made this on the hottest day of the year so far, (it was 92 in our house) but I did.We all liked the taste, and I liked how easy it was to but together.Instead of mac, I used mini lasagna noodles, and for half of the water I used chicken broth. Oh - and ground chicken instead of beef. I will be making this again - on a cooler day! Thanks.