Simple Macaroni Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 (16 ounce) package small elbow macaroni or (16 ounce) package salad macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise (more or less, to taste)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can baby shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon mustard (more or less, to taste)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add mayonaisse, and mix well to coat all noodles.
- Add more if neccesary (you want them to be quite moist as they will absorb some as it chills).
- Mix in prepared mustard.
- Add green onions, olives and shrimp.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I prepared this for a salad buffet. I used shell macaroni, and finely diced, sweet vidalia onions (my grocer didn't have green onions on hand). I also added diced green pepper, fresh parsley and used frozen salad shrimp, instead of the canned. As promised, the salad is very simple. However, 1 cup of mayo (more or less) didn't provide enough dressing for 16 ounces of pasta. I used a bit more mayo and mustard, and also thinned it with a bit of milk. I added a little salt and coarse ground black pepper to bring out the flavor. Shrimp is a favorite around here, and the salad went quickly.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With 5 kids and a hungry husband to feed, I'm always looking for good, budget friendly meals. We generally eat meals that use little meat (I try to use 1 lb or less per dinner, and none the rest of day), so that means lots of casseroles and meats with gravy. I enjoy baking, so bread recipes and desserts tend to get saved more frequently than others. I'm especially partial to chocolate and lemon (although not together).