Shrimp Lo Mein
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces dried Chinese egg noodles or 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, such as Knorr, dissolved in 1 3/4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small bunch scallion, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 head napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
For the noodles:
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the noodles according to their package directions. Drain and set aside.
For the sauce:
- Combine the bouillon, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and Sriracha in a large glass measuring cup or small bowl and set aside. This may look like a lot of sauce, but you have a lot of noodles and veggies to coat!
For the lo mein:
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, half the garlic, half the ginger and half the scallions and saute 30 seconds. Add in the shrimp and cook until they just start to turn pink and curl up, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp and aromatics to a plate and reserve.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and add the remaining garlic, ginger and scallions. Saute 30 seconds, and then add in the mushrooms, celery, carrots and cabbage. Saute the veggies until they begin to brown and caramelize, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk the cornstarch into 2 tablespoons cold water. Once dissolved, add to the sauce. Add the sauce to the pan with the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Toss in the reserved shrimp, aromatics and noodles and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!