Shanghai Beer-Braised Red-Cooked Beef
photo by Gen7173
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 lb beef (any high-collagen cut, such as chuck)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (e.g. Pearl River brand, NOT Kikkoman or light soy)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 fluid ounces pale ale
- 2 star anise (dried)
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1 dash toasted sesame seeds
- Add cooking oil to dutch oven over med-high heat.
- When oil starts shimmering, add ginger and beef. Sear until all sides have been browned.
- Mix dark soy sauce and sugar in a bowl. Add to dutch oven and stir the beef in the soy sugar mixture until all sides are fully coated.
- Add pale ale and star anise. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat until barely simmering. Simmer for one hour, uncovered.
- Remove beef to serving plate. Increase heat and reduce the sauce into a glaze. Skim off excess fat from the top of the glaze and pour glaze over beef.
- Add chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!