Savory Cheddar Cheese and Rice Cheesecake
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- 2 cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (or use dried)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion (or 1 med. onion)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or use vegan cheese)
- 1 1⁄2 cups silken tofu
- 1⁄4 cup plain soymilk (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons herbs (thyme, sage, basil, rosemary)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Combine rice, parsley, scallions (or onions)and cheese. (You may saute onions first.).
- In blender, combine tofu, milk, pepper, spices and hot sauce until well mixed.
- Combine rice and tofu mixtures.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Serve hot.
- (I think it takes even better the next day when the flavors have blended and mellowed.).
Oh yum, this is soooo good! It is fluffy, slightly cheesy (even though I used a little less than what was called for) and has a great crust on top. Everyone loved this. The raw onion (I used a regular one) got really sweet during the baking and that was such a nice touch. YUM!<br/>As we were a little short on time we skipped the bottom crust, but Im sure it would have been a nice addition.<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, WICC! :)<br/>Made and reviewed for your being VIP during Veggie Swap #38 September 2011.
I definitely give this 5 stars for taste, but right out of the oven it just did not hold together, unfortunately. However by the next day it had firmed up quite a bit. I used regular cheese and some low-fat milk, and the scallions instead of onion. The 6 grain Japanese rice I used in this was great! I served with extra hot sauce. Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch. Thanks! Made for March 2010 veggie swap.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a recipe junkie and collect way too many cookbooks. But when it's time to actually make something, I quickly turn to the internet... I started avoiding meat more than 20 years ago for environmental reasons. (It takes so many resources and the pollution risks of confinement operations are huge.) I've been vegan for years now and can report that the health benefits are also real. I really don't understand why people insist on eating meat