Sauteed Shrimp With Mango Salsa
photo by chia2160
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 diced yellow onions (about 1-1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 2 2 teaspoons basil (your choice) or 2 teaspoons mint (your choice)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp or 2 tuna steaks
- Saute olive oil, onions, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another couple minutes.
- Next, add the diced mangos and simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Ad orange juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and jalapeno.
- Simmer on low for another 10 minutes or until orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the fresh herb of your choice (cilantro, basil or mint).
- For shrimp: Peel and devein shrimp, and toss with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute in a pan over medium high heat until pink about 7-10 minutes.
- For tuna: preheat saute pan over high heat.
- Season tuna steaks with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Sear steaks for 2-3 minutes on both sides, until outside is browned, but the inside is still rare.
- Serve with mango salsa!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great use of seasonal fruit along with locally grown produce! I used little red onions, chili peppers (2/3 of one, they're hot!) and garlic from our organic farmer's market, as well as quite a bit of fresh lemon basil--like 1/2 cup. I went heavy with the ginger, I had some frozen that I grated, and it went well with the orange juice. I agree with Chia, this was more like a sauce, not a salsa, which is most often not cooked, but the cooked sauce was still good on the tuna, and a tiny bit of pasta on the side. Interesting and healthy!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>